Saturday, February 5, 2011

Learning in Dance

Learning itself is a major subject for me, so much that I often investigate learning techniques. Neuro Linguistic Programming uses many techniques in ways of learning, and so they may have an influence in the way in which I learn. As mentioned in the earlier blog, I gravitate more towards touch/experience learning. When the instructor mentions that I am in a right position or when I feel a sort of on-top-of-it feeling, I try to remember that feeling and to instead of trying to "get" to that position, I try to get to that "feeling". This is the same type of learning I do while learning new juggling techniques.

There are various techniques in specific I employ--shutting down the chatter of mind, being in third person, focusing on the collective movements of the rest of the class, focusing on the music played, and focusing on breathing. My ability to not be afraid to try what seems intimidating serves to also increase my learning ability. At the very same time, just so long as I do the movements and get corrected, I have faith that I am developing muscle memory.

In the future, I certainly want to incorporate meditation visualization techniques of dance, as well as generally being open to other techniques I stumble upon. In Ballet, as Richard says, one just needs to be able to count to eight. Well, as funny as that is, sometimes, I do lose count. A solution to this is to really anticipate the numbers at the beginning (thinking of them as extremely fundamental bits of information that will then make me feel confident with forgetting about the count and focusing more on technique). The most difficult is oftentimes the most simple. I feel that just "not" thinking and just "doing" (as is condoned always) is probably the best way to learn. Reminds me of Zen in a way. Stop thinking about the what or why the tree is, and just see it there.


At the very same time, all of this needs to be thought of as incredibly pleasant. Associating modern dance and ballet with pleasantness, increases desire to actually learn, which then increases the ability to learn at a faster rate. What are the prerequisites? Health and a positive attitude in life. All is a learning experience, so off I go to learn again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment