Friday, February 11, 2011

Dance Summer Intensives

As great as the intensives sound, I certainly lack the funds available for such an undertaking (especially to out of state). Though not exactly an "intensive" dance course, I stumbled into a circus arts training studio in Orlando and they offer aerial silk and hoops up to 4 times a week. Then there is another studio in Miami (South Florida Circus Arts School) which offers even more. Trainers there come from various backgrounds, including one trainer from Cirque Du Soleil. Here is a link to a video of the school: South Florida Circus Arts School | miami.com

More locally, there is another circus arts school, a 3,600-square foot studio in Clearwater called Dance and Circus Arts of Tampa Bay. From June 13th to July 1st, they have a three-week intensive called "Summer Cirque Camp".


I started learning circus arts (mainly unicycling and different types of juggling tricks) at the end of 2009, and have been practicing on my skills ever since. I would like to get acquainted, however, with other circus-related things that may be too expensive or impractical for me to learn by myself (tight rope, aerial dance, german wheel, large walking globe). Dance merges perfectly with circus arts because both depend on center of gravity, strength, and kinesthetic memory.

That aside, there is something that is not impossible for me to attend that is out of state. There is a 14-hour (4 day) workshop of Butoh taught by a Butoh master from Japan in Brooklyn, NYC from June 24th through 27th. Here is a link to the website: Butoh Workshop with Butoh master Katsura Kan.I love anything that is related to that artform because of its out-of-this-world aesthetic.

a Butoh dancer

Still, I am going to keep an eye out on various programs of ballet and modern dance. I am as serious as ever in doing anything in my power to advance in both ballet and modern dance. I am relatively good at keeping myself busy. There will surely be something movenent and strength-related for me to attend this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment