Sunday, October 9, 2011

On Being Present

Presense may be synonymous with awareness. It, however, does not mean letting the left brain attempt it. When first working on the identity dance, I found it useful to completely clear the mind first, for a blank slate is fertile soil for creation. Going with the first inclination is practical because one can have material to modify. The starting ground has to start somewhere, even if it is a silly ground. The important part is to simply start doing. The challenge may be the idea of a short time line to create the work, but it is very surprising what a person can come up with in a short amount of time (improvisation comes to mind). The trick is being able to remember all the details from the improvisation.

In my identity dance, I did felt presense, although I could have probably used even more of outside-of-myself action. The type where you may have almost taken the vantage point of the people watching you, nearly forgetting altogether you yourself were performing. For the next solo, I would attempt to encorporate many of the suggestions I received--more lines, more sustaining, and even more core.

No comments:

Post a Comment