Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dynamic Alignment

What rings highly for me in this book is Joan Skinner's Releasing technique, although there are many great ideas in this book. The reason I like Skinner's technique is because it's how I often like to think with practically everything in dance and outside--that one must keep the energy flowing like a river, and to learn to withdraw in order to gain. Rolfing I find intriguing as well, as I have in a type of dance meditation, pictured myself as a polygon with a great amount of grounding and balance. I saw that thinking in this way really did keep my balance up very well. I would definitely like to think [no, I mean feel] more in symmetry. I say feel after thinking of Sensory Awareness, that goes beyond vision and rationalizing.

The rubber-band tensegrity shows a good metaphor of resistance. Another good metaphor is the ship body. There was a whole section on the role of imagery relating to children, which I find great as an individual can learn much from the movements of children as they use great imagination and seem to be without limits. There are great creative experiments at the end of chapter 4, especially influencing body image and external space alignment. I haven't imagined before a room bigger than it seemed to be, but I have used space exercises of my own imagining where I felt I was everywhere at the same time. This brought great presence and awareness of space.

No comments:

Post a Comment