Monday, November 21, 2011

Yielding, Push, Reach and Pull

Calling upon my own solo, I will say that I use all of these ideas. When starting off, I use a push through space which then yields to the next move of a parallel sustained develope-type move, in which case the arms are outstretched and reaching. The aspect of pull comes maybe 10 seconds into the piece where I go down to my knees, but to arrive there I had to pull back my core as if there was a rope tied to me and I was pull back from my torso.

Out of all of these ideas, pull is probably the one that I use the less, so knowing this, I will try to use it more. I do know a pull movement that I enjoyed was done in Irene's piece at the point right before we went to run towards being propped up by two of our dance mates' legs.

Yielding appears to use a lot of shift of weight, for there is a transition that reverses or stunts movement, yet keeps moving in its own way to allow for a smooth shift to the next movement. This semester, I've learned how important transitional movements were. Very importantly is that all these ideas are much easier to pull of when one is using whole body, because then, for instance, there will be a uniformity in the pushing, as in, whatever is not pushing is resisting.

No comments:

Post a Comment